Ill. Elects Gay-Friendly Gov.
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 05 2010 5:00 PM ET
Antigay Republican Bill Brady has finally conceded defeat in the Illinois governor’s race.
Brady (pictured, left) conceded early Friday afternoon, the Chicago Tribune reports, leaving gay-friendly incumbent Democrat Pat Quinn (pictured, right) the victor.
With all the state’s precincts reporting, Quinn leads Brady by more than 19,000 votes out of more than 3 million cast. Brady was holding out hope for absentee ballots to close the gap, but Friday he and his staff “came to the conclusion that Governor Quinn won this race,” he told reporters at a press conference in Bloomington, Ill., his home city.
Quinn’s victory makes the prospects brighter than ever for civil unions for Illinois gay couples. The state legislature is expected to pass a civil unions bill by year end, and Quinn has pledged to sign it. Brady opposes the bill, although he had said he would not seek to repeal civil unions legislation enacted under Quinn. As a state senator, he proposed amending the Illinois constitution to ban marriage equality and sought to weaken the state antidiscrimination law; both moves were unsuccessful.
The win means Quinn will begin his first full term as governor. A longtime progressive activist in Illinois, he moved up from lieutenant governor when Gov. Rod Blagojevich, accused of misconduct, was removed from office in early 2009.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM