Shirvell Fired for Harassing Student
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2010 2:30 PM ET
Michigan assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell was fired Monday for harassing the gay student body president of the University of Michigan.
Shirvell's attorney confirmed the termination on the Detroit Free Press website.
"They said essentially that as a result of Andrew's conduct, it's become impossible for him to carry out his duties as an attorney general," Shirvell attorney Philip Thomas told the paper.
Shirvell posted several blog posts about Chris Armstrong, describing the student leader as heading up a "radical homosexual agenda" as well as calling him a Nazi and a representative of Satan. UM barred Shirvell from its campus, and the official took a leave of absence when his behavior came to light.
Returning to work on Friday, Shirvell faced a disciplinary hearing from the state attorney general, but was let go on Monday.
UM has since lifted its ban on Shirvell, who threatened to sue if it was not ended.
Read the full story here.
- TV: Several LGBT Characters Missing Next Season
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- The Story of How Jason Collins Came Out to His Twin Brother
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM