Shirvell Fired for Harassing Student
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2010 2:30 PM ET
Michigan assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell was fired Monday for harassing the gay student body president of the University of Michigan.
Shirvell's attorney confirmed the termination on the Detroit Free Press website.
"They said essentially that as a result of Andrew's conduct, it's become impossible for him to carry out his duties as an attorney general," Shirvell attorney Philip Thomas told the paper.
Shirvell posted several blog posts about Chris Armstrong, describing the student leader as heading up a "radical homosexual agenda" as well as calling him a Nazi and a representative of Satan. UM barred Shirvell from its campus, and the official took a leave of absence when his behavior came to light.
Returning to work on Friday, Shirvell faced a disciplinary hearing from the state attorney general, but was let go on Monday.
UM has since lifted its ban on Shirvell, who threatened to sue if it was not ended.
Read the full story here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 min 46 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 38 min 31 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM