LGBT Clinic Gets Challenge Grant
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2010 7:20 PM ET
Chicago’s cash-strapped Howard Brown Health Center, which serves primarily LGBT patients, has received a $100,000 challenge grant, contingent on the center raising matching funds by November 30, officials announced Tuesday.
Howard Brown administrators made an emergency appeal for funds Thursday, saying the clinic needed to raise $500,000 in 50 days to continue operating; the financial crisis is related to mishandling of a federal grant by the center’s previous leadership team. Since then the center has received donations totaling $90,000 and also got a call offering the challenge grant.
The caller told Howard Brown president and CEO Jamal Edwards that the clinic had saved his son’s life. Edwards said the caller added, “We can’t let Howard Brown fail.”
The caller, who did not wish to have his name publicized, said he would match donations dollar for dollar, up to $100,000, through the end of the month. “We still have a lot to do before the deadline, but because of this generous donor’s challenge grant, gifts can now count twice toward the goal,” said Rob Garofalo, MD, Howard Brown vice president and director of research, in a press release. “A donation of $25 will be $50, and $75 will be $150.”
For more on the center and the funding appeal, click here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 20 min 59 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 5 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 21 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM