LGBT Clinic Gets Challenge Grant
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2010 8:20 PM ET
Chicago’s cash-strapped Howard Brown Health Center, which serves primarily LGBT patients, has received a $100,000 challenge grant, contingent on the center raising matching funds by November 30, officials announced Tuesday.
Howard Brown administrators made an emergency appeal for funds Thursday, saying the clinic needed to raise $500,000 in 50 days to continue operating; the financial crisis is related to mishandling of a federal grant by the center’s previous leadership team. Since then the center has received donations totaling $90,000 and also got a call offering the challenge grant.
The caller told Howard Brown president and CEO Jamal Edwards that the clinic had saved his son’s life. Edwards said the caller added, “We can’t let Howard Brown fail.”
The caller, who did not wish to have his name publicized, said he would match donations dollar for dollar, up to $100,000, through the end of the month. “We still have a lot to do before the deadline, but because of this generous donor’s challenge grant, gifts can now count twice toward the goal,” said Rob Garofalo, MD, Howard Brown vice president and director of research, in a press release. “A donation of $25 will be $50, and $75 will be $150.”
For more on the center and the funding appeal, click here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 37 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM