Footballer Suspended for Pink Cleats
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 11 2010 5:00 PM ET
A high school football player is back on his team after having been suspended by his coach for wearing pink cleats in honor of breast cancer awareness month, reports USA Today.
Coy Sheppard, 17, a senior at Mendenhall High School in Mississippi, has dropped the lawsuit he filed against the school district last week to protest his dismissal from the team on October 11. Sheppard had angered his coach by wearing the pink cleats during an October 8 game and was dismissed when he wore them to practice the next week, according to the lawsuit.
Sheppard wore them in honor of his grandmother and step-grandmother, both of whom are cancer survivors, said his mother, JoAnne Sheppard.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 2 hours 54 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM