Kye Allums Plays Home Turf This Weekend
BY Megan Dickey
November 12 2010 7:45 PM ET
After going public last week about being transgender, George Washington University basketball player Kye Allums is playing in his first game in his hometown Saturday since asking to be known as "Kye" instead of "Kiara."
"It was meant to be," said Allums, who lived not far from the arena. Allums added that he anticipates continued support from his friends and family, comparing coming out as transgender to coming out as a lesbian.
"I'm still me," Allums said. "It was stupid for me to feel like I had to hide everything then, and it's the same way now."
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 11 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 39 min 19 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 12 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 3 min ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 1 hour 15 min ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 35 min ago