Lesbian Cadet Wants Back Into West Point
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2010 3:30 PM ET
Katherine Miller, a top 10–ranked West Point cadet who resigned earlier
this year after deciding a life in the closet was not for her, says she
is now trying to get back into the military.
"I'm trying to get back into the military,” Miller tells the Associated Press. “I'm not trying to make that difficult when that occurs."
Miller said she wanted to be a leader at West Point but quickly realized she “wasn't becoming the leader of character that I wanted to be.”
She says other gay cadets in her small circle of friends tried to persuade her to stick it out, and she often wonders if she should have stayed and kept her sexuality a secret under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
"It was definitely an option. I just chose not to live my life that way. I'm pretty stubborn in my values. I needed to get out and declare who I was."
Read the full interview here.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Can San Francisco Become the First AIDS-Free City?
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 15 min 20 sec ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 31 min ago
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 58 min 26 sec ago
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 1 hour 49 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 2 hours 3 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 2 hours 4 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 2 hours 6 min ago