Lesbian Cadet Wants Back Into West Point
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2010 3:30 PM ET
Katherine Miller, a top 10–ranked West Point cadet who resigned earlier
this year after deciding a life in the closet was not for her, says she
is now trying to get back into the military.
"I'm trying to get back into the military,” Miller tells the Associated Press. “I'm not trying to make that difficult when that occurs."
Miller said she wanted to be a leader at West Point but quickly realized she “wasn't becoming the leader of character that I wanted to be.”
She says other gay cadets in her small circle of friends tried to persuade her to stick it out, and she often wonders if she should have stayed and kept her sexuality a secret under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
"It was definitely an option. I just chose not to live my life that way. I'm pretty stubborn in my values. I needed to get out and declare who I was."
Read the full interview here.
- Couple Plead Guilty to Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- #TBT: Halloween Do's and Don'ts
- Dallas Airport Attacker Unlikely to Face Hate Crime Charges