Wikileaks Info Stored on Gaga CD
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 30 2010 1:15 PM ET
The U.S. Army analyst suspected to be the architect of the Wikileaks scandal that has rocked governments and their leaders around the world was reportedly a gay soldier who was unhappy with his job.
Bradley Manning, 23, is facing a long jail sentence after downloading and disseminating more than 90,000 files of highly sensitive information using a Lady Gaga CD and a flash memory drive. He has yet to be charged formally, but officials say he is the primary suspect due to his own description of how he pulled off the heist to a confidant, according to the Associated Press. He has been charged in military court with obtaining and disseminating sensitive information.
U.S. attorney general Eric Holder said the government will launch a criminal investigation into the matter.
Manning, a low-level private in the Army, was reportedly unhappy and felt underpaid in his job. An August New York Times report said that Manning felt his social life was defined by the need to remain closeted under "don't ask, don't tell." He also felt stifled by his low rank and inability to move up.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 39 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 2 hours 3 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 2 hours 19 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 23 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2 hours 28 min ago