DADT Day 2 Better Than Expected
BY Kerry Eleveld
December 03 2010 2:15 PM ET
senators emphasized the point that the combat units, whose members
expressed the most trepidation about repeal, also said they didn’t
believe they knew or had served with anyone who was gay.
is to say, predictions of negative effects are higher among troops in
war-fighting units, but the actual experience of troops in combat units
who have fought alongside gays is that their units were largely
unaffected,” Levin said, quoting from the working group report.
To reinforce the point, Democratic senators repeatedly referenced one anonymous quote from the report.
“We have a gay guy. He’s big, he’s mean, and he kills lots of bad guys. No one cared that he was gay,” one soldier said of a gay man who served in his unit.
said and done, pro-repeal advocates indicated their worst fears had
been averted and the collective testimony had been less negative and
perhaps even more positive than expected.
After the hearing concluded, Lieberman told The Advocate it was “a very encouraging day.”
know there was a lot of feeling that the chiefs of the various services
were going to come in and say that they were unalterably opposed to
repealing ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’” Lieberman said. “The fact is, every
one of them said they were for repealing ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ — a few
of them would like not to have it happen now.”
Shortly after the
hearing, Sen. Scott Brown — a key Republican who sits on the committee
and joined Sen. John McCain’s filibuster of the defense bill in
September — pledged his support for repeal.
“I accept the findings
of the report and support repeal based on the [Defense] secretary’s
recommendations that repeal will be implemented only when the battle
effectiveness of the forces is assured and proper preparations have been
completed,” Brown said in a statement.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 58 min 46 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 21 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 29 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 37 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 47 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 34 min ago