Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 8:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 4 min 47 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM