Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 9:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- Op-ed: Hosting Ted Cruz Isn't Just Offensive to LGBT People
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- PHOTOS: The Scene at the Supreme Court As Marriage Equality is Considered
- Marriage Equality Only Happened Because Grassroots Refused to Wait
- Drag Race Star Miss Fame Releases 'Rubber Doll' Music Video