Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 9:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality