Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 9:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- Artist Spotlight: Jamil Hellu
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility