Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 9:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 4 min 14 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 6 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 24 min 14 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 26 min 34 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 28 min 53 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 29 min 20 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 39 min ago