Seattle-Area County Swears in Gay Politician
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2010 9:35 PM ET
King County, Wash. — home of Seattle — swore in its first
openly gay council member Monday, when Joe McDermott took the oath.
"Today confirms King County believes in representative democracy and values diversity,” McDermott said. “I am honored that the voters have placed their trust in me and grateful for the LGBTQ community’s support throughout my career.”
McDermott, a passionate supporter of gay rights in Washington, previously served in the state house and senate.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- LISTEN: 19 Kids and Counting Star Records Transphobic Robocall
- 10 Mushy Moments With Brittney Griner And Glory Johnson