Gay Rights Victory in Brazil
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2010 5:55 PM ET
Officials in the Brazilian capital of Brasilia (pictured) announced Friday that the nation's committed gay couples will be granted the same social security pension benefits that heterosexual couples receive.
A same-sex partner of a retiree who dies will now be able to receive the pension payments that were granted to their deceased partner, announced the Social Security Ministry. Brazil doesn't formally recognize same-sex marriages, but gay couples have certain rights, including some related to inheritance and retirement.
Read the full story here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model