Gay Rights Victory in Brazil
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2010 5:55 PM ET
Officials in the Brazilian capital of Brasilia (pictured) announced Friday that the nation's committed gay couples will be granted the same social security pension benefits that heterosexual couples receive.
A same-sex partner of a retiree who dies will now be able to receive the pension payments that were granted to their deceased partner, announced the Social Security Ministry. Brazil doesn't formally recognize same-sex marriages, but gay couples have certain rights, including some related to inheritance and retirement.
Read the full story here.
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 8 min 38 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 1 hour 26 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Parenting Q&A: Darren Spedale, Co-Parenting Pioneer, Talks About His Latest Venture December 05 2013 10:40 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM