Jimmy Carter's Ready for a Gay President
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 15 2010 2:55 PM ET
Jimmy Carter is ready for a gay president — and he thinks America could stand behind one too.
The former president told BigThink.com it may not happen in this coming election, but in the very near future, he thinks the country will see a gay president. He says he thinks Americans are making great strides toward accepting homosexuality.
"Step-by-step, we have realized that this issue of homosexuality has the same adverse and progressive elements as when we dealt with the race issue 50 years ago — or 40 years ago."
He said with the country acclimated to having a black or female president, it's only a matter of time before it is ready for a gay one.
Read the full story here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 15 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM