Conservative MP Nigel Evans Comes Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 19 2010 3:10 PM ET
A conservative British MP whose sexuality has long-been an open secret is stepping out of the closet by attending the launch of a support group for gay politicians, according to his agent.
Welsh-born, Ribbie Valley MP Nigel Evans, 53, is being praised by fellow out politicians for his support of the group ParliOut. MP Chris Bryant, who is also gay and sits on the board of ParliOut, tweeted Friday, "Glad to see Nigel Evans is 'coming out.' An open secret in Parliament for years.”
In an interview Sunday, Evans said he discussed coming out with gay rugby player Gareth Thomas and realized, "it should be no big deal for me.”
Evans also said a Labour MP — he declined to give his name — had been threatening to out him. He said he finally decided to come out because he didn’t want to live a lie.
Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM