North Carolina Pol: Gay People Are “Sexual Predators”
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2010 3:25 PM ET
An antigay commissioner in North Carolina’s Mecklenburg County called
gay people “sexual predators” in an e-mail response to a letter from a
fellow commissioner asking her colleagues to sign a thank-you note to
the state’s officials who voted to repeal “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
Mecklenburg County commissioner Jennifer Roberts circulated the letter earlier this month, prompting an angry response from Bill James.
“Homosexuals are sexual predators,” James wrote in response to the e-mail from Roberts. “Allowing homosexuals to serve in the U.S. military with the endorsement of the Mecklenburg County Commission ignores a host of serious problems related to maintaining U.S. military readiness and effectiveness not the least of which is the current Democrat plan to allow homosexuals (male and female) to share showers with those they are attracted to.”
In 2009, James made headlines for mumbling the word “homo” after a colleague spoke of her son dying of AIDS. A few years earlier, he was quoted as saying people of color "live in a moral sewer."
Change.org is urging people to sign a petition to the Mecklenburg County board urging members to censure James “for repeatedly using his work e-mail to bash LGBT folks.” James was just reelected to his seat.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism