North Carolina Pol: Gay People Are “Sexual Predators”
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2010 3:25 PM ET
An antigay commissioner in North Carolina’s Mecklenburg County called
gay people “sexual predators” in an e-mail response to a letter from a
fellow commissioner asking her colleagues to sign a thank-you note to
the state’s officials who voted to repeal “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
Mecklenburg County commissioner Jennifer Roberts circulated the letter earlier this month, prompting an angry response from Bill James.
“Homosexuals are sexual predators,” James wrote in response to the e-mail from Roberts. “Allowing homosexuals to serve in the U.S. military with the endorsement of the Mecklenburg County Commission ignores a host of serious problems related to maintaining U.S. military readiness and effectiveness not the least of which is the current Democrat plan to allow homosexuals (male and female) to share showers with those they are attracted to.”
In 2009, James made headlines for mumbling the word “homo” after a colleague spoke of her son dying of AIDS. A few years earlier, he was quoted as saying people of color "live in a moral sewer."
Change.org is urging people to sign a petition to the Mecklenburg County board urging members to censure James “for repeatedly using his work e-mail to bash LGBT folks.” James was just reelected to his seat.
- Op-ed: Hosting Ted Cruz Isn't Just Offensive to LGBT People
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Marriage Equality Only Happened Because Grassroots Refused to Wait
- PHOTOS: The Scene at the Supreme Court As Marriage Equality is Considered
- Drag Race Star Miss Fame Releases 'Rubber Doll' Music Video