Reichen Is Not a "Vapid Queen"
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2010 3:55 PM ET
A-List star Reichen Lehmkuhl is none too pleased that an editor for New York’s gay nightlife guide Next Magazine called him and boyfriend Rodiney Santiago “vapid queens,” sending an e-mail to the editor and likening his words to “bullying.”
In calling the Logo reality series one of the worst shows of 2010, Next editor Dan Avery wrote, “The ‘reality’ show everyone loved to hate probably cancelled out 100 ‘It Gets Better’ videos with its cringe-worthy depictions of Reichen, Rodiney and the other vapid queens trying to impress upon viewers why they're important.”
The blurb was picked up by Village Voice columnist Michael Musto and read by Lehmkuhl, who fired off an e-mail to Avery that the editor then sent to Gawker.
Lehmkuhl wrote, “I don't appreciate your bullying words. You can save your 'vapid queens' comment for, well, no one. I can't even imagine speaking this way about other human beings. That you would reduce my existence to someone who is a 'vapid queen' says more about what you don't know about me, along with the kind of person you must be. Is this seriously how a 'senior editor' at a magazine talks about people?”
Read the e-mail in its entirety here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 33 min 31 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 44 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 47 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 31 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 38 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM