Reichen Is Not a "Vapid Queen"
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2010 3:55 PM ET
A-List star Reichen Lehmkuhl is none too pleased that an editor for New York’s gay nightlife guide Next Magazine called him and boyfriend Rodiney Santiago “vapid queens,” sending an e-mail to the editor and likening his words to “bullying.”
In calling the Logo reality series one of the worst shows of 2010, Next editor Dan Avery wrote, “The ‘reality’ show everyone loved to hate probably cancelled out 100 ‘It Gets Better’ videos with its cringe-worthy depictions of Reichen, Rodiney and the other vapid queens trying to impress upon viewers why they're important.”
The blurb was picked up by Village Voice columnist Michael Musto and read by Lehmkuhl, who fired off an e-mail to Avery that the editor then sent to Gawker.
Lehmkuhl wrote, “I don't appreciate your bullying words. You can save your 'vapid queens' comment for, well, no one. I can't even imagine speaking this way about other human beings. That you would reduce my existence to someone who is a 'vapid queen' says more about what you don't know about me, along with the kind of person you must be. Is this seriously how a 'senior editor' at a magazine talks about people?”
Read the e-mail in its entirety here.
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- WATCH: Kentucky Same-Sex Couples Discuss Kim Davis's Denial
- Op-ed: The Real Ramifications of the Rentboy Raid
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis