Tea Party Targets Scott Brown
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2010 2:05 PM ET
Conservative Republicans and Tea Party advocates are on the hunt for a primary challenger for Massachusetts senator Scott Brown after his reaching across the aisle to support several pieces of legislation this year, including the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."
Brown, a Republican, was chosen in a special election in January to assume the seat held by late U.S. senator Edward Kennedy, who died in 2009. He is up for full election in 2012.
Aside from his vote to repeal the military's ban on gay and lesbian service members, Salonreports Brown has drawn the ire of conservatives for his support of the New Start treaty, Wall Street reform over the summer, and a jobs bill earlier this year.
"I think that there will be a primary challenge," Christen Varley, president of the Greater Boston Tea Party, told The Boston Globe last Friday. "There’s enough of an underground movement in the Tea Party movement as seeing him as not being conservative enough. There probably will be multiple people who attempt to run against him."
Brown is still popular in his state and polling stronger than senior senator John Kerry, according to the report.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 54 min 17 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 37 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 46 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM