Continues Tradition of Homophobia With ‘Elton and Wife’ Headline
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 30 2010 3:00 PM ET
Announcing the adoption of Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John to new dads Elton John (pictured, right) and partner David Furnish (left), the New York Post continued a tradition of antigay language and cartoons, running a story Wednesday with the headline “Elton and wife proud dads.”
The story by David K. Li, which ran in the print edition and online, was free of antigay slurs or language, but the headline, inaccurate, sophomoric, antigay, and anti-female, has elicited responses from blogs and editorial writers.
Gawker’s Brian Moylan points out that apart from the insult to both gay men and women, the joke is journalistically inaccurate, as the men are civil partners in the United Kingdom, though not technically married.
GLAAD reached out to the New York Post’s managing editor, but the newspaper has not changed its headline. In previous years GLAAD has taken to task the newspaper for calling transgender women “she-males” and for its insulting cartoon depictions of gay men. The watchdog group was created 25 years ago in response to the Post’s antigay AIDS coverage.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 min 19 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 15 min 7 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 19 min 26 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 28 min 52 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 33 min 6 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 22 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse 2 hours 31 min ago