R.I. Gov. Wants Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 2:50 PM ET
While being sworn in as Rhode Island's first independent governor this morning, Lincoln Chafee advocated marriage equality for his state, reports The Providence Journal.
“When marriage equality is the law in Rhode Island, we honor our forefathers who risked their lives and fortune in the pursuit of human equality,” Chafee said during his speech.
As the new governor, Chafee steps into the job that his father, the late John H. Chafee, held for three terms in the 1960s. The Republican-turned-independent Chafee lost his bid for reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2006.
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- Slate's Dear Prudence Tells Bisexual Reader to Stay Closeted
- #27BiStories: Appearing Straight, Appearing Gay, and Other Misconceptions Bi People Face
- When Bisexual People Get Left Out of Marriage