R.I. Gov. Wants Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 2:50 PM ET
While being sworn in as Rhode Island's first independent governor this morning, Lincoln Chafee advocated marriage equality for his state, reports The Providence Journal.
“When marriage equality is the law in Rhode Island, we honor our forefathers who risked their lives and fortune in the pursuit of human equality,” Chafee said during his speech.
As the new governor, Chafee steps into the job that his father, the late John H. Chafee, held for three terms in the 1960s. The Republican-turned-independent Chafee lost his bid for reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2006.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'