R.I. Gov. Wants Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 2:50 PM ET
While being sworn in as Rhode Island's first independent governor this morning, Lincoln Chafee advocated marriage equality for his state, reports The Providence Journal.
“When marriage equality is the law in Rhode Island, we honor our forefathers who risked their lives and fortune in the pursuit of human equality,” Chafee said during his speech.
As the new governor, Chafee steps into the job that his father, the late John H. Chafee, held for three terms in the 1960s. The Republican-turned-independent Chafee lost his bid for reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2006.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf