R.I. Gov. Wants Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 2:50 PM ET
While being sworn in as Rhode Island's first independent governor this morning, Lincoln Chafee advocated marriage equality for his state, reports The Providence Journal.
“When marriage equality is the law in Rhode Island, we honor our forefathers who risked their lives and fortune in the pursuit of human equality,” Chafee said during his speech.
As the new governor, Chafee steps into the job that his father, the late John H. Chafee, held for three terms in the 1960s. The Republican-turned-independent Chafee lost his bid for reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2006.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- Op-ed: HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence But It Still Isn't Easy
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad