R.I. Gov. Wants Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 2:50 PM ET
While being sworn in as Rhode Island's first independent governor this morning, Lincoln Chafee advocated marriage equality for his state, reports The Providence Journal.
“When marriage equality is the law in Rhode Island, we honor our forefathers who risked their lives and fortune in the pursuit of human equality,” Chafee said during his speech.
As the new governor, Chafee steps into the job that his father, the late John H. Chafee, held for three terms in the 1960s. The Republican-turned-independent Chafee lost his bid for reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2006.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Debunking Bill Cosby's Claim He Can Read Women's Desires, Accuser Comes Out As Lesbian