Weir: I Don't Celebrate Being Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2011 2:10 PM ET
Skating star Johnny Weir appeared on the Today show Monday, discussing his autobiography, Welcome to My World, and his recent announcement that he's gay.
Weir insists he was never in the closet; he just didn't want to make his sexual orientation the focal point of his celebrity.
“I was born a white male, a white gay male, and I don’t celebrate being white or male, so why should I celebrate being gay?” he said. “I know people who have been activists for years and have worked so hard and tirelessly, and they have definitely wanted me to be an activist. But I think the best way I can be an activist is to live my life, and not make that the main thing that is Johnny Weir. I’m much more than just a gay man.”
Read the full story here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View