Weir: I Don't Celebrate Being Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2011 3:10 PM ET
Skating star Johnny Weir appeared on the Today show Monday, discussing his autobiography, Welcome to My World, and his recent announcement that he's gay.
Weir insists he was never in the closet; he just didn't want to make his sexual orientation the focal point of his celebrity.
“I was born a white male, a white gay male, and I don’t celebrate being white or male, so why should I celebrate being gay?” he said. “I know people who have been activists for years and have worked so hard and tirelessly, and they have definitely wanted me to be an activist. But I think the best way I can be an activist is to live my life, and not make that the main thing that is Johnny Weir. I’m much more than just a gay man.”
Read the full story here.
- Is the T Word the New N Word?
- Chaz Bono Talks Trans Issues on 'RuPaul's Drag Race'
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Male Teen
- #TBT: When The Advocate Invented Bears
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto