Straight Wrestler Launches Athlete Ally
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 12 2011 5:10 PM ET
Hudson Taylor, a straight All-American wrestler and coach at Columbia University, has launched the website AthleteAlly.com in an effort to combat homophobia in sports and ensure the locker room is a safe space for all.
“I created the Pledge so that we, as an athletic community, can take proactive steps to end homophobia in sports,” Taylor says in a statement on the site. “When we inspire entire teams and athletic departments to commit to a new standard of athletic integrity, we will change the environment in locker rooms and on playing fields. Adding your name to the growing list of supporters is the first step to make a difference.”
Last year Taylor emerged as a champion for gay rights, first with a much-read blog on homophobia in sports that he wrote for Outsports.com and later by posting for the No H8 campaign.
In October, Taylor made headlines when he appeared at a conservative Catholic college to talk about acceptance in sports and marriage equality.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 54 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 6 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM