Utah Bill to Ban Gay Families?
BY Michelle Garcia
February 02 2011 7:50 PM ET
A Utah legislator introduced a bill Wednesday that would require all publicly funded programs, laws, and regulations, to ensure they exclude families headed by gay and lesbian couples.
Rep. LaVar Christensen writes in the bill's language that "marriage and family predate all governments and are supported by and consistent with the Laws of Nature and God, the Creator and Supreme Judge of the World, affirmed in the nation’s founding Declaration of Independence." It also says, "families anchored by both a father and a mother, fidelity within marriage, and enduring devotion to the covenants and responsibilities of marriage are the desired norm."
Brandie Balken, executive director of Equality Utah, told the Salt Lake City Tribune that the bill could be used to "create a filter for public agencies and a way to target laws, services and funding that currently help single Utahns or Utanhs with families that differ from Representative Christensen's."
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 20 min 2 sec ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 25 min 20 sec ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 26 min 25 sec ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 35 min 43 sec ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 42 min 9 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Has a Steamy 'Spa Day' 53 min 36 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy 58 min 25 sec ago