Study: Homophobia Harms Health
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 03 2011 10:50 AM ET
A newly released study shows that antigay bullying can cause hormonal disruptions
that may lead to increased suicide attempts, memory loss, cardiovascular
problems, and bone density depletion.
The Gazette of Montreal reports on the study authored by Michael Benibgui, who claims it is the first to prove a biological link between homophobia and health damage.
“The results showed that victims of homophobia had disruptions in their output of cortisol, a hormone released in the brain as a response to stress,” reports The Gazette. “Normally, cortisol levels are highest in the morning and lowest in the evening, but those facing homophobic bullying consistently produced higher levels throughout the day, Benibgui said.”
In addition to measuring cortisol, which can cause ailments when disrupted, the study looked at whether participants were more depressed or had increased thoughts of suicide or suicide attempts, The Gazette reports.
The study found that support from family and friends can counteract the cortisol disruption and improve resiliency.
The study involved 63 Montrealers between the ages of 18 and 25 who answered questionnaires and gave saliva samples in 2003 and 2004.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 51 min 45 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 21 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 13 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM