Hundreds Attend Md. Marriage Hearing
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 09 2011 8:40 AM ET
At least 140 witnesses and many more spectators attended a marriage equality bill hearing that lasted into the evening Wednesday in the Maryland senate judicial proceedings committee.
The committee is expected to approve the bill and send it to the full senate for a vote before the end of the month. The measure needs 24 votes to pass the Democratic-controlled chamber and 29 votes to stop an anticipated filibuster.
According to The Washington Post, senate president Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr. put the bill’s chances of passing his chamber at 60 to 70% and said a vote could come next week.
“If the bill clears the Senate, then the House of Delegates, typically the more liberal chamber on social issues, would take up the issue, deciding whether Maryland should join the District and five states that allow same-sex marriage,” reports the Post.
On Tuesday, testimony was evenly divided among witnesses for and against the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act including many speakers with a religious perspective, according to the Washington Blade. Among the witnesses for the opposition was Maggie Gallagher of the National Organization for Marriage, which is tied to the state’s powerful Catholic lobby.
Out elected officials including Sen. Richard Madaleno testified in support of the bill, as did Sen. Allan Kittleman, the lone Republican senator to support the measure. The hearing lasted for more than seven hours.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM