Christ Like Gaga Atop Runyon Canyon
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 12 2011 1:45 PM ET
Publicists for Lady Gaga say they had nothing to do with a Christ-like image of the pop star that appeared a top Los Angeles’ Runyon Canyon in advance of the Grammy Awards on Friday.
People who frequent the popular Hollywood hiking and jogging trails were greeted with the gigantic painting of Gaga Friday morning.
"Here is what I stumbled up on during my morning jog before work," tipster Alexis Zimmer said in an e-mail to NBC Los Angeles.
"I took pictures of what looks like an gigantic painting of Lady Gaga with a crown of thorns on her head with blood. The painting is laying flat all the way on top of the hill near by the benches..."
By 2:45 pm, aerial shots showed authorities removing the painting. Gaga’s publicist said their camp was unaware of the painting, which was the work of artist Castro.
Castro wrote in an email to NBC: "Hollywood, where stars are worshipped today, just to be crucified tomorrow. ...The idea behind the painting goes beyond Gaga and way beyond religion."
- BREAKING: This Year's Michigan Womyn's Music Festival Will Be the Last
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- WATCH: Bruce LaBruce at MoMA