Gay Guinness Kiss Record Broken
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2011 8:50 PM ET
It looks like college students Matty Daley and Bobby Canciello won't be getting their place in the new Guinness Book of World Records after all.
The New Jersey students broke the world record for longest kiss when the two friends locked lips for more than 33 hours in September. But that record appears to have been broken by a straight couple who won a Valentine's Day–themed kissing contest in Thailand.
Ekkachai and Laksana Tiranarat of Bangkok reportedly kissed for more than 46 hours in an oceanside shopping mall in Pattaya. Fourteen couples entered the contest, which kicked off Sunday at 6 a.m.
One gay couple took part in the contest. The winners not only claimed a new world record, they took home a diamond ring worth 50,000 Thai baht ($1,606), and a 100,000-baht ($3,213) cash prize.
Matty and Bobby's kiss had yet to be included in the world records book. The current official world record is a 32-hour kiss, set in 2009 by a couple in German.
"Looks like we won't be getting our spot in the next Guinness Book, but mad props to these two for achieving something even more fantastic than we were able to do at the time," Daley and Canciello wrote on their Facebook page, Matty and Bobby Kiss.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Arkansas County Clerk Resigns Over Marriage Equality
- Caitlyn Jenner Steps Out with Transgender Celebrities
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- An Open Letter to Clarence Thomas From an Interracial Lesbian Couple