Facebook Adds Civil Unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2011 6:05 PM ET
Setting aside "it’s complicated," the choices of "married," "engaged," "divorced," "separated," "widowed," and "single" don’t cover all the bases, especially for LGBTs. In response to the hodgepodge of relationship legal statuses that exists in America and around the world, Facebook has added two options to describe users’ relationships. Now users can also choose “in a civil union" and "in a domestic partnership” to add to their profiles in the U.S., Canada, France, the U.K., and Australia, starting today.
Facebook made the changes with input from LGBT organizations including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, and the Human Rights Campaign.
"As LGBT people face a pathwork of relationship recognition laws, this gives people more tools to adequately describe their relationship," said Michael Cole, spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign. "Facebook has been a company that has tried to be inclusive of the LGBT community, and this is just one sign of it."
Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 12 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 47 min 30 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 24 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 1 hour 33 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 12 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM