Amos: Repeal Won't Cause Loss of Marines
BY Michelle Garcia
February 18 2011 4:40 PM ET
Marine commandant Gen. James Amos, who vocally opposed repealing "don't
ask, don't tell," now says he does not anticipate losing any troops
due to the new policy allowing gay and lesbian personnel to serve
When asked Friday about the mass exodus that Sen. John McCain warned his colleagues would happen if "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed, Amos told reporters, "I haven't had any indication yet at all, not at all." He added that when he addressed some 12,000 Marines about the repeal, they were compliant and willing to adapt to the new law, according to AOL News.
"It would be naive to think that somewhere down the road there's not
going to be issues," he said. "I think there probably will be in
probably all the services, but I don't think it's going to be of any
magnitude that's going to cause much more than a blip. So I'm very
A study by the Pentagon in 2010 showed Marines had the most negative views about gay people and repealing "don't ask, don't tell" with 58% of those in combat arms voicing opposition.
Amos recently appeared in a video with Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent, the top enlisted Marine, advocating a peaceful implementation process.
"I want to be clear to all Marines: We will step out smartly to faithfully implement this new law," Amos said in the video last month.
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 12 min 57 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 25 min 57 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 46 min 35 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 5 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 12 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 37 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 51 min ago