Trans Mayor for Amarillo?
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2011 6:45 PM ET
Sandra Dunn, a transgender woman, is challenging the mayoral aspirations of a homophobic pastor in Amarillo, Tex.
Dunn is running against David Grisham, a fundamentalist preacher who previously called for a boycott of Houston because it has a lesbian mayor.
"The more people that run, the better," Grisham told the Amarillo Globe-News after hearing Dunn was a candidate. "I'm not sure that's who you want as mayor. If they're indecisive about who they are, are they indecisive about other issues?"
Dunn, 53, is currently getting her Master's Degree and previously served in the Army. She previously ran a supply business but closed it after her business partner was murdered inside the shop. Dunn says she supports sex education in Amarillo's schools, but opposes a ban on smoking.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 8 min 16 sec ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 1 hour 27 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM