Obama to Hold Antibullying Conference
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 02 2011 11:10 AM ET
President Barack Obama will host a conference about bullying prevention at the White House next Thursday.
Melody Barnes, the chief domestic policy adviser, announced the conference Tuesday afternoon on a call with reporters. She said that participants would have the opportunity to speak with President Obama and high-level administration representatives about bullying and ways to prevent it in their communities.
The White House also released an official statement about the conference.
“On Thursday, March 10, President Obama, the Department of Education, and the Department of Health and Human Services will welcome students, parents, teachers and others to The White House for a Conference on Bullying Prevention,” the statement said. “The conference will bring together communities from across the nation who have been affected by bullying as well as those who are taking action to address it. Participants will have the opportunity to talk with the President and representatives from the highest levels of his Administration about how all communities can work together to prevent bullying.”
Last fall, President Obama appeared in an “It Gets Better” video following a highly publicized series of LGBT teen suicides because of bullying.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 12 min 50 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 18 min 56 sec ago
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 1 hour 57 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 2 hours 7 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 2 hours 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Artist Michelle Chamuel Tackles Annie Lennox's 'Why' 2 hours 20 min ago