NYC Adopts New Policy for Trans Marriages
BY Julie Bolcer
March 08 2011 9:10 AM ET
In response to a threatened legal action, the city of New York has adopted a new policy to ensure that transgender people have equal access to marriage licenses.
The Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund filed the complaint in October with help from the law firm Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP on behalf of an anonymous opposite-sex couple identified as Jane and John, who are both transgender. When they tried to marry in 2009 in the Bronx, the city clerk demanded that each produce their birth certificates, something not asked of other marriage license applicants.
TLDEF announced the new city policy and victory in a news release Tuesday morning.
“Under the terms of the new policy, issued on Feb. 7, 2011, once a marriage license applicant produces the required photo ID, the City Clerk may not request additional proof of sex,” said the organization. “Moreover, City Clerk employees are forbidden from considering the applicant's appearance or preconceived notions related to gender expression when deciding whether to issue a marriage license.”
The agreement also calls for the city clerk to apologize to Jane and John, to institute gender identity and expression training for employees, and to allow the couple to marry at a time and place of their choosing.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- 3 Big Differences: Boy Scouts Versus Girl Scouts
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 32 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 34 min 51 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 34 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM