Israeli Rabbis Marry Gay Men to Lesbians
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2011 8:00 AM ET
Rabbis from the religious Zionist community have expanded their effort to marry gay men and lesbians who live together in order not to violate their faith’s prohibition against homosexual sex.
According to Haaretz, Rabbi Areleh Harel of the West Bank settlement of Shilo has performed 11 of the marriages thus far, and he keeps a list of more than 50 gay men and lesbians seeking such a marriage. He and his colleagues have decided to institutionalize the venture and work with a well-known religious matchmaking organization.
“Gay-lesbian marriages have long been practiced among the ultra-Orthodox, but the current initiative is different in that it stems not from an effort to sweep the issue under the carpet, but from a growing acknowledgment of homosexuality, prompted in part by four organizations for religious homosexuals: Havruta, Bat Kol, Hod and Kamocha,” reports Haaretz.
“Harel explained that while secular homosexuals see gay marriage as the solution, religious homosexuals are often unwilling to violate the halakhic prohibition on homosexual sex, and are thus seeking other solutions.”
One such couple described their relationship as being like that of “business partners.” Some of the couples have children by artificial insemination.
A spokesman for Havruta said he personally opposes the idea because it discourages the couples from being open about their sexual orientation, which would lead to greater happiness.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM