An End to Antigay Aid?
BY Michelle Garcia
March 15 2011 4:10 PM ET
The House Financial Services Committee passed an amendment Tuesday that
would discourage giving aid to countries that persecute their citizens because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
According to a statement from Rep. Barney Frank (pictured), who introduced the amendment to the committee, the bill passed with nearly unanimous support. The amendment will be added to a House Financial Services Committee bill that outlines budget priorities for issues under the committee's jurisdiction. According to Frank's office, the Financial Services Committee's overwhelming support for his amendment may lead to support in the Budget Committee and the full House.
The text of the amendment reads: "The Committee urges Treasury to advocate that governments receiving assistance from the multilateral development institutions do not engage in gross violations of human rights, for example, the denial of freedom of religion, including the right to choose one’s own religion, and physical persecution based on sexual orientation or gender identity."
Frank cited Uganda, a beneficiary of the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries program, as an example of a country that openly abuses its LGBT citizens.
“The United States has a fairly influential voice in the development area," Frank said Tuesday. "And we should not be supportive of providing multilateral bank development funds going to the governments of countries which engage in the physical persecution of people because of their religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or gender identity.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 1 hour 27 min ago
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 2 hours 29 min ago
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 2 hours 51 min ago
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 2 hours 58 min ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM