Chick-fil-A's $1 Million Antigay History
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2011 2:00 PM ET
Despite Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy's insistence that he is not antigay and his company has "no agenda against anyone," Equality Matters has tracked more than $1 million in donations from Chick-fil-A's charitable division to antigay organizations, including some that promote and fund "ex-gay" and "reparative" therapies.
The company has given more than $600,000 to the National Christian Foundation between 2003 and 2008. The National Christian Foundation provides grants to nonprofits including Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council.
From 2003 to 2008, Chick-fil-A also donated money to the Fellowship of Christan Athletes, the Alliance Defense Fund, and Campus Crusade for Christ.
In January, Chick-fil-A came under fire for donating meals to a Pennsylvania-based "traditional marriage" event. Cathy responded with a statement: "In recent weeks, we have been accused of being anti-gay. "We have no agenda against anyone. While my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees."
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- WATCH: United Nations Poses a Riddle to End Homophobia
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 1 hour 37 min ago
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 1 hour 37 min ago
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 1 hour 37 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM