India State Bans “Gay” Gandhi Book
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 31 2011 8:35 AM ET
The western India state of Gujarat Wednesday banned a new biography of Mahatma Gandhi because of reviews that say the book suggests the independence leader was gay.
According to the Associated Press, the Gujarat state assembly voted unanimously to ban Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle With India by Joseph Lelyveld. The author argues that his work is being misinterpreted.
“The furor was sparked by local media reports, based on early reviews out of the U.S. and U.K., some of which emphasized passages in the book suggesting Gandhi had an intimate relationship with a German man named Hermann Kallenbach,” reports the AP.
The reviews include one in The Wall Street Journal by conservative historian Andrew Roberts, who concluded that the biography suggests Gandhi was gay and a racist.
The book has not been released in India yet, but some have called for bans in the state of Maharashtra, home to Mumbai, and nationwide, according to the AP.
The Delhi high court struck down the British colonial era ban on gay sex in 2009, but the supreme court will hear petitions against the ruling in April.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM