Spacey and Law Protest Belarus Dictatorship
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 01 2011 8:15 AM ET
Actors Kevin Spacey and Jude Law joined a protest in London this week to call for an end to the dictatorship of Belarus president Alexander Lukashenko, who is known for antigay positions.
The Daily Mail reports on the Monday evening march of 100 people, including Sir Tom Stoppard and actor Roger Lloyd Park.
“Spacey, 51, said he was moved to act and protest about human rights violations in Belarus after watching the Belarus Free Theatre (BFT) perform in New York last year,” reports the Mail.
“He told the Evening Standard: ‘It’s the only time I’ve read a programme saying nearly every single member of a theatre company has been arrested or imprisoned.’”
The demonstration began in central London outside public relations agency Grayling, which protesters want to end its business in Belarus, although the company’s chief executive objects to the charges. Marchers moved to the House of Commons, where the Belarus Free Theatre was to perform.
“American Beauty star Spacey also revealed that he had just discovered that his own films and those of Law have now been banned in Belarus because of their involvement with the protests,” reports the Mail.
Le Figaro reported that Lukashenko has said he does not like “fags.” He said that when German foreign minister Guido Westerwelle, who is gay, visited Belarus in November, he told him to lead a “normal life.”
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 4 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 30 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 56 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 56 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM