Maher vs. Obama on Marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2011 7:45 AM ET
Never one to mince words on gay rights, Bill Maher has a message for a president who is still “evolving” on the subject of marriage equality: “Now that a Cheney, a McCain, and a Bush have come out to support gay marriage, it’s your turn, Obama,” Maher said Friday on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher with a graphic of Dick Cheney, Cindy McCain, and President George W. Bush's daughter Barbara behind him. “Who are you waiting for? The state of Alabama? The Reverend Fred Phelps?”
Maher noted a recent ABC News/Washington Post poll that showed a majority of Americans support marriage rights for gays and lesbians.
“This is remarkable progress, considering that it wasn’t that long ago that just saying the words ‘gay marriage’ made most Americans throw up in their cornflakes,” Maher said.
Watch the video below.
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Affordable Care Act
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 3 min 18 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM