Gay Man Comes Home After 6 Months in Saudi Jail
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2011 1:55 PM ET
A gay man who was detained and tortured in Saudi Arabia for six months returned home to England last week.
Stephen Comiskey, 36, was working under contract for the King Fahad National Guard Hospital in Riyadh, according to U.K paper The Sun. He said he was lured into an ambush due by text messages sent to him from someone posing as one of his friends.
Comiskey said he was detained under charges of homosexuality, but added that he never was obvious about his sexual orientation. After being beaten, he was jailed, his passport was confiscated, and he was threatened with beheading. Eventually diplomats were able to broker his return home. He said before he was released, he was forced to sign a "confession" but could not read the document because it was written in Arabic.
According to The Sun, diplomats believe Comiskey's arrest was related to the case of Saudi Prince Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud, who was sentenced to life in prison last year for killing his servant in a London hotel. Saudi authorities did not want the prince's sexual orientation to become a factor in his trial, but British officials thought it was an important factor in the case. Diplomats believe the arrest was a retaliative measure after the prince's trial.
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM