Gay Man Comes Home After 6 Months in Saudi Jail
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 04 2011 12:55 PM ET
A gay man who was detained and tortured in Saudi Arabia for six months returned home to England last week.
Stephen Comiskey, 36, was working under contract for the King Fahad National Guard Hospital in Riyadh, according to U.K paper The Sun. He said he was lured into an ambush due by text messages sent to him from someone posing as one of his friends.
Comiskey said he was detained under charges of homosexuality, but added that he never was obvious about his sexual orientation. After being beaten, he was jailed, his passport was confiscated, and he was threatened with beheading. Eventually diplomats were able to broker his return home. He said before he was released, he was forced to sign a "confession" but could not read the document because it was written in Arabic.
According to The Sun, diplomats believe Comiskey's arrest was related to the case of Saudi Prince Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud, who was sentenced to life in prison last year for killing his servant in a London hotel. Saudi authorities did not want the prince's sexual orientation to become a factor in his trial, but British officials thought it was an important factor in the case. Diplomats believe the arrest was a retaliative measure after the prince's trial.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 38 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 10 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 19 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 36 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 17 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM