Lucy Liu for N.Y. Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
April 05 2011 12:35 PM ET
Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill star Lucy Liu joins the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality video series from the Human Rights Campaign.
“I was born in Jackson Heights, Queens,” says Liu in the 30-second video. “New York has always been about diversity and acceptance.”
The video campaign continues as New York state lawmakers are widely anticipated to consider the marriage equality bill again this spring. The bill failed in the senate in 2009, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo, strengthened by the passage of an on-time budget last week, has said he wants to see another vote by the end of the legislative session in June.
“With marriage equality on the horizon in New York, we are excited to add Lucy Liu’s voice to the list of high-profile New Yorkers in support of fairness,” said HRC president Joe Solmonese in a news release. “New York is poised to join the growing list of states that treat LGBT families equally under the law.”
Jackson Heights was formerly represented by the expelled Democratic state senator Hiram Monserrate, who was convicted of misdemeanor assault against his girlfriend. Monserrate voted against the marriage equality bill and afterward was replaced by pro-equality state senator Jose Peralta. Other races in which gay advocates played a role since 2009 have helped bring the number of confirmed yes votes for marriage equality to 26, but 32 votes are needed for the bill to pass the senate.
The New York state assembly has passed the marriage equality bill three times.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- A Letter to My Partners
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 39 min 42 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 46 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 49 min 32 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 11 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 25 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 37 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 40 min ago