Archbishop Gets Pies in Face
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 06 2011 1:40 PM ET
The Roman Catholic archbishop of Belgium got four custard pies in the face at a public appearance Tuesday as payback for his — and the church’s — and anti-abortion stances.
A prankster known as “the Glooper” posted footage on YouTube showing the creamy attack on Archbishop André-Joseph Leonard, who was speaking at the Catholic University of Louvain-la-Neuve, near Brussels, Agence France-Presse reports.
Leonard last year suggested that AIDS was “a sort of intrinsic justice” visited on gay people by God, and he also has compared being gay to an eating disorder, saying, “Homosexuality is not the same as normal sex in the same way that anorexia is not a normal appetite.”
One of the people who pushed a pie into his face Tuesday told Belgian reporters, “For all those homosexuals who daren’t tell their parents they are gay, for all those young girls who want to have an abortion, he absolutely deserved it.”
This is the second time Leonard has been targeted in this way. The Glooper has also pulled off these attacks on French president Nicolas Sarkozy and Microsoft founder Bill Gates. There’s another precedent for pie-throwing as a gay rights protest: Back in 1977 in Des Moines, a gay activist tossed a banana cream pie at antigay entertainer Anita Bryant.
Watch the videos of Leonard and Bryant below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM