Archaeologists Find “Gay” Caveman
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 07 2011 8:20 AM ET
Archaeologists in the Czech Republic found the 5,000-year-old skeleton of what they believe to be the oldest known gay or perhaps transgender caveman.
According to The Telegraph, the male remains, which date between 2900 and 2500 B.C., were discovered in a way normally reserved for women from the Corded Ware culture in the Copper Age.
“The skeleton was found in a Prague suburb in the Czech Republic with its head pointing eastwards and surrounded by domestic jugs, rituals only previously seen in female graves,” reports The Telegraph.
Archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova said the positioning was unlikely to be a mistake, and that the man was likely someone “with a different sexual orientation, homosexual or transsexual.”
Her colleague Katerina Semradova said at a Tuesday press conference that archaeologists previously had uncovered a case from the Mesolithic period where a female warrior was buried in the manner reserved for men.
Semradova called the new discovery a case of “transsexual” or “third gender grave.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM