Boehner Doesn't Know DOMA Defense Cost
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 08 2011 1:50 PM ET
House speaker John Boehner said he did not have an estimate as to how
much defending the federal marriage ban would cost.
Last month Boehner and House Republican leaders decided to continue arguing in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act in court, after President Barack Obama directed the Justice Department to stop defending the 1996 law because he found it discriminatory.
At a press conference Thursday, Boehner said he did not have an estimate for the legal fees associated with defending the law.
"But we were placed in a position where we were in effect allowing the administration to determine the constitutionality of a bill that passed the United States Congress because they were unwilling to defend it," he said, according to the Washington Blade. "I don’t think the House had any choice but to take the position that we were going to defend the work that the Congress — and only the courts are in the position of determining the constitutionality of any bill."
On March 11, two days after the House leadership decided to defend DOMA in court, minority leader Nancy Pelosi asked Boehner to provide an estimate of how much the legal move would cost.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM