"Gay" Caveman Likely a Media Myth
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 10 2011 8:55 PM ET
Historians and archaeologists are dubious about media reports that refer to a recently unearthed skeleton as a "gay" caveman.
The remains, found outside of Prague in the Czech Republic, are of a man lying on his left side and facing west, which is how many women of the time were laid to rest. The man also has items associated with females lying near him. But experts say there is no way to prove this man was gay; it would be speculation to even consider him transgender. He may be a "third-gender," but, "in anthropology, you can't equate third gender with homosexuality," University of Wisconsin-Madison professor John Hawks was quoted as saying. Hawks and others believe European newspapers fanned the flames of the "gay" caveman rumor with presumptive stories, which were picked up by international media.
Also, the remains are not of a caveman, but someone who lived in the Neolithic Age, only about 5,000 years ago.
Read more here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 33 min 19 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 46 min 19 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 6 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 26 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 57 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 12 min ago