Conservatives Declare War on "Gay"
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 13 2011 9:10 AM ET
Attendees at the Awakening conference for social conservatives this past weekend
suggested that their fight begins with changing the terms of debate,
namely, swapping the word “gay” for alternatives including “sodomy” and “anti-Christian.”
Sofia Resnick of The American Independent reports on the conference held at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., where one session focused on finding another term for “gay.” Panelists included Ryan Sorba, chairman of the Young Conservatives of California; Greg Quinlan, president of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays; and Liberty University dean Matt Barber.
Sorba said, “‘Gay’ is a left-wing sociopolitical construct designed to create grounds for fundamental rights [based on] whimsical capricious desires. Gay identity does not exist.”
The American Independent reports that Sorba proposed alternatives to the word “gay” that received unanimous approval from the 40 audience members. His suggestions included the words “same-sex attraction,” “same-sex intercourse,” “sodomy,” and “unnatural vice.” Later it was suggested that gays should be referred to as “anti-Christian."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 1 hour 30 min ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM