Campaign Encourages Actors to Come Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 21 2011 1:30 PM ET
Actor-activist James Duke Mason has launched a new video campaign called Trailblazer, in which established openly gay performers encourage closeted gay and lesbian actors to come out.
"Hollywood has always been a trendsetter and voice for political and social progress, and that's why the Trailblazer Campaign is so important and why it has the potential to make a huge difference," Mason tells The Advocate. "If the campaign can help to encourage more and more actors to come out and express their true selves, then that will have a huge impact on the industry and in turn on America and the world. A message of equality will be heard everywhere, and change will eventually happen."
Mason is the 18-year-old son of singer Belinda Carlisle and former Reagan staffer Morgan Mason as well as the grandson of legendary film star James Mason. His first film, What Happens Next, will premiere at the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival April 27. Mason says he expects Sandra Bernhard, David Moretti, and Perez Hilton to film additional videos soon.
Watch Mason's video below and a video from actor Chad Allen on the next page.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 8 min 40 sec ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM