Campaign Encourages Actors to Come Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 21 2011 1:30 PM ET
Actor-activist James Duke Mason has launched a new video campaign called Trailblazer, in which established openly gay performers encourage closeted gay and lesbian actors to come out.
"Hollywood has always been a trendsetter and voice for political and social progress, and that's why the Trailblazer Campaign is so important and why it has the potential to make a huge difference," Mason tells The Advocate. "If the campaign can help to encourage more and more actors to come out and express their true selves, then that will have a huge impact on the industry and in turn on America and the world. A message of equality will be heard everywhere, and change will eventually happen."
Mason is the 18-year-old son of singer Belinda Carlisle and former Reagan staffer Morgan Mason as well as the grandson of legendary film star James Mason. His first film, What Happens Next, will premiere at the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival April 27. Mason says he expects Sandra Bernhard, David Moretti, and Perez Hilton to film additional videos soon.
Watch Mason's video below and a video from actor Chad Allen on the next page.
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Artist Spotlight: Ben McNutt
- PHOTOS: Let's Take a Long Look at Long Beach Pride