South African Lesbian Raped and Murdered
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 29 2011 11:35 AM ET
Noxolo Nogwaza was found dead in the Kwa-Thema township on Sunday, believed to be the latest lesbian victim of murder and the “corrective rape” practice in South Africa.
Queerlife reports on the crime, which has been denounced by advocacy groups and some media. Nogwaza was 24 years old.
“Ms. Nogwaza was a member of the Ekurhuleni Pride Organising Committee (EPOC), the key LGBTI organisation in Kwa-Thema. The committee, along with the Coalition of African Lesbians (CAL) said that Ms Nogwaza’s face was so badly beaten that she was unrecognisable. Her body had been stabbed all over with glass shards and an empty bottle and used condom were also reportedly found in her genitals,” reported Queerlife.
In 2008, Eudy Simelane, a South African footballer and lesbian activist, was raped and murdered in Kwa-Thema. Last year, a gay man in the township was attacked by a group that attempted to rape him.
EPOC described the murder and rape as a hate crime and vowed to seek justice.
In an editorial, The New Age newspaper decried the practice of “corrective rape,” which seeks to “cure” lesbians. The editorial noted that the South African constitution provides for protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation.
“Research conducted in the Western Cape indicates that 86% of black lesbians live in fear of sexual assault because of the high prevalence of corrective rape in the area,” according to the editorial.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 52 min 37 sec ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 6 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 1 hour 25 min ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 1 hour 41 min ago