Meet ’s Gay Contestants
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2011 7:55 PM ET
For 10 seasons of American Idol, fans in search of a gay superstar have almost always had to wait until a contestant was kicked off for him to come out — even when the guyliner, teased hair, and viral videos of same-sex lip locks made it pretty obvious.
There’s no need to wait on NBC’s new vocal competition, The Voice. The show boasts four gay contestants — two men and two women — heading into the battle round, where they will be coached by the likes of Blake Shelton, Cee Lo, Christina Aguilera, and Adam Levine. And while a couple of them might be eliminated in the next few weeks (in the battle round, teams of eight are whittled down to four when teammates face each other in a sing-off), chances that there will be a lesbian or gay singer competing to become the first “Voice” are strong.
Meet Vicci Martinez, Nakia, Tyler Robinson, and Beverly McClellan on the following pages. Bios have been taken from NBC's official website for The Voice.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 2 hours 2 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 2 hours 5 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM