Brazil Approves Civil Unions
BY Michelle Garcia
May 05 2011 1:00 PM ET
Brazil's supreme court ruled in favor of granting civil unions to gay and lesbian couples Thursday after two days of proceedings over the case.
Minister Luis Fux, who was the first to submit his vote, said he believes that because homosexuality is not a crime, it should not prevent gay people from forming families.
While the court decided not to legalize marriage, some ministers involved said it would be the next step in Brazil.
"There is no escaping the evidence that homosexual marriage is an empirical reality," minister Ricardo Lewandowski said, according to Estadao News.
The lawsuit was filed by Rio state governor Sergio Cabral, who wanted to grant partnership rights and benefits to all state employees, according to AFP.
Additionally, Brazilian attorney general Roberto Gurgel supports legalizing civil unions, and his office joined Cabral in the suit. In South America, Argentina has legalized marriage equality, while Uruguay, which has civil unions, is also considering legalizing marriage equality.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM