South African Murder Called Hate Crime
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2011 2:30 PM ET
South African LGBT activists say a woman stabbed to death late last month was also a victim of “corrective rape,” in which men sexually assault lesbians on the pretense that the action will turn the women straight.
The victim, Noxolo Nogwaza, 24, was attacked by several men after she dropped off her girlfriend in a township near Johannesburg, CNN reports. She was raped, stabbed with broken glass, and beaten with rocks. Used condoms, rocks, and a beer bottle were found near her body.
Local police, who are continuing to search for the perpetrators, say the killing was not a hate crime, but activists disagree. “Her attack is a case of corrective rape,” said Lydia Kunu, who worked at a gay organization with Nogwaza. “Neighbors said they heard her attackers telling her, ‘We will take the lesbian out of you.’” Lesbian soccer player Eudy Simelane was raped and murdered in a similar manner three years ago in the same township.
Nogwaza’s death has led to increased pressure on South Africa’s government to take action against bias-related crimes involving LGBT victims. The nation’s Justice Ministry this week set up a task force to address the matter.
Although South Africa, in its post-apartheid constitution, became the first African nation to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation, antigay violence and other manifestations of homophobia remain rampant in the country, activists said. Siphokazi Mthathi, the South Africa director for Human Rights Watch, told CNN that sometimes when lesbians report being raped, police say, “Aren’t you glad that you got a real man for a change?”
“South Africa is a very misogynist and homophobic society,” Mthathi said. “We welcome the task team, but it won’t solve social problems. We need to address the culture of accountability in judicial and social institutions, we need to address the attitudes ... disrupt the culture of impunity.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' 32 min 42 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 33 min 41 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 1 hour 30 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 22 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 24 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 26 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM