Minority Persecuting Majority?
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2011 7:50 PM ET
Gay people seeking equal marriage rights are “a very small minority” asking the majority of Americans to change their ways, conservative actor-director Stephen Baldwin says in new online video interview.
“For society, and a majority of our society, to be asked by a very small minority to change its ways — and everybody can interpret that for themselves; that can be constitutional, that can be by law, that can be by faith — the homosexual community wants to go and start its own churches and get married, they’re free to do that,” Baldwin tells Lee Hawkins in the interview, posted on The Wall Street Journal’s website. “And I don’t see that being unreasonable to say, why should people who believe this in a big way that’s been around for a long time turn around and alter what they feel is their sensibility just because those folks feel like, ‘We’re not being treated equal.’”
He does not address the lack of rights caused by the lack of legal recognition of same-sex unions, but he suggests he may lose out on some Hollywood job offers because of his stance.
Stephen is the youngest of the four acting Baldwin brothers, the others being Alec, Daniel, and William. Stephen’s conservative Christian views make him stand out from the rest of the family, especially Alec, an outspoken liberal and marriage equality advocate.
Watch the interview here. The discussion of same-sex marriage begins at about the 6:40 mark.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM