Olympic Chief Resigns
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 07 2011 11:15 AM ET
Peter Vidmar, the new head of the U.S. Olympic team criticized for his antigay activism, resigned abruptly Friday, USA Today reports.
There was an immediate storm of negative reaction after the Chicago Tribune reported this week that Vidmar had contributed to the campaign to pass Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot initiative that rescinded marriage rights for California same-sex couples. Those criticizing Vidmar’s actions included Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir, who is gay, and former Women’s Sports Foundation president Aimee Mullins.
Vidmar, a 1984 Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics, had said his support for Prop. 8 was motivated by his Mormon faith. Friday evening, in resigning his post as chief of mission for the Olympic team, he released the following statement:
“I have dedicated my life to the Olympic movement and the ideals of excellence, friendship and respect. I wish that my personal religious beliefs would not have become a distraction from the amazing things that are happening in the Olympic movement in the United States. I simply cannot have my presence become a detriment to the U.S. Olympic family. I hope that by stepping aside, the athletes and their stories will rightly take center stage.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 44 min 56 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 40 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 43 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM