Betty White Didn't Out Cary Grant
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 09 2011 3:55 PM ET
Last year, when Betty White mentioned Cary Grant as one of many known gay actors in Hollywood during an appearance on The Joy Behar Show, she wasn’t outing him. She was just repeating something that was commonly discussed in the film industry, the 89-year-old actress told Behar in another appearance on the show on Friday.
“Everybody talked about it,” White said. “I didn’t know for sure — trust me. No one knows, and it’s none of our business.”
Grant’s daughter Jennifer recently wrote a memoir saying the rumors that her father was gay are false, and that the actor actually enjoyed the rumors.
White went on to talk about her friendship with Liberace, who she says was “not at all” straight, and rumors of her rivalry with Golden Girls co-star Bea Arthur.
“Bea was not that fond of me,” White said. “I don’t know. I don’t know what I ever did.”
White says she loved and had a tremendous amount of respect for Arthur.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Latest News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 34 min 10 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 34 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM